Applications are currently being accepted for the State Library and Archives of Florida Sunshine State Library Leadership Institute â€“ Year Five.Â Application Deadline is June 6, 2008. (Application Form)
The Sunshine State Library Leadership Institute will improve your ability to:
- understand your own talents and how to most effectively use them as a leader
- move from managing to leading people
- formulate, articulate, and communicate a vision that inspires others to act
- prepare for and address current crises with a focus on the future
- develop public and private partnerships with other agencies and community-based organizations
- identify and solve existing, but unaddressed, problems within your library
- target library services to individuals of diverse geographic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds; to individuals with disabilities; and to individuals with limited functional literacy or information skills
- target library and information services to persons having difficulty using a library and to underserved urban and rural communities, including children from families with incomes below the poverty line
- increase the level of visibility and value of the library within your broader community
The Institute is open to individuals from all types of libraries (public, academic, school, and special) in Florida.Â It is designed for professional librarians, as well as those in management positions without a masterâ€™s degree in Library Science.Â
Benefits to Libraries
Libraries will benefit from the Institute by having:
- staff members who are prepared to accept leadership roles
- improved services and patron support
- greater community collaboration and stronger alliances
- linkage with other library professionals across the state
The Sunshine State Library Leadership Institute includes a formal, organized mentoring program.Â All participants are required to choose a career mentor who will assist them in setting leadership career goals.
If you are interested in mentoring a Leadership Institute participant, more detailed information is available here.
The Institute is an intensive and rewarding learning experience that requires significant time, energy, and commitment from participants and their libraries.Â Upon acceptance, participants must commit to:
- attend all 10 sessions
- enter into a mentoring relationship
- complete readings and assignments before each session
- identify, develop, implement, and evaluate a library leadership project by the end of the Institute
Fees and Expenses
The program is valued at $2,500 per person.Â Upon acceptance, participants will be charged a $150 registration fee.Â Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements.
The State Library and Archives of Florida coordinates the Institute, which addresses the Library Services and Technology Act priorities.
For more information, please contact Jill Canono at (850) 245-6648 or firstname.lastname@example.org.