Date(s) - 09/01/2019 - 09/02/2019
Registration is full for this course. TBLC will be purchasing more licenses for viewing, and a new announcement will go out before the end of 2019! Keep an eye out for the new launch dates.
TBLC is happy to offer Ryan Dowd’s “Librarian’s Guide to Homelessness” Course!
This is a self-paced online training that will remain available to access until September 1, 2020 for registered attendees.
This online training course teaches a three-part strategy for modern libraries:
1. Understand the homeless experience.
2. Recognize that—because of that experience—threats and punishment are ineffective with homeless patrons.
3. Learn how to use the tools and skills of “Empathy-Driven Enforcement” instead.
You and your staff have way more influence over your patrons than you realize. Little details in your behavior cause big changes in their behavior, for example:
• Turning your body by 15 degrees lowers patron aggression.
• There are six phrases you should never use with homeless patrons.
• The way most people provide ‘back-up’ to their colleagues makes the situation worse.
The training has three goals:
1. Your staff are more confident.
2. Your library is calmer and safer.
3. Your library is inclusive, serving homeless patrons alongside everyone else.
Group viewings under one registration are not permitted under our contract with the trainer. Please register individually or contact TBLC for more information about group registration.
This event is full.