Date(s) - 10/10/2017
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Everyone knows how to dash off a quick Google search, but do you know how to go deeper with your searching? This webinar will show you how to search for many types of information effectively: websites, news, images, videos, statistics, maps, books, definitions, translations, and more. You’ll learn tips for Google, Wolfram Alpha, and several other search engines.
We will cover
• Advanced tips for Google searching
• Pros and cons of Google’s search personalization and how to turn it off
• Searching other parts of Google: News, Translate, Videos, Books, Google Scholar, and Maps
• Protecting your search privacy: using DuckDuck Go or Private mode in your web browser
• Social media search tools and when to use them: Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest
• Multimedia searching: videos, podcasts, images, and how to filter by usage rights, color, and other criteria
• Finding old websites with the Wayback Machine
• Finding data, statistics, and much more with Wolfram Alpha
• Searching by voice with Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant
• You’ll learn how to search Google and other search engines more effectively.
• You’ll learn about several different free search tools and when to use each.
• You’ll get information you can use to teach your patrons about searching.
• You’ll get a handy pre- and post- quiz (with answers), so you can test your knowledge before and after the workshop.
Biography ~ Nicole Hennig
Nicole Hennig is an expert in mobile technologies for libraries. In her 14 years of experience at the MIT Libraries, she won awards for innovation, and worked to keep academics up to date with the best mobile technologies. Now she has her own business helping librarians stay current with new technologies. She is the author of several books, including Keeping Up with Emerging Technologies, and Apps for Librarians.
Like most librarians, she is passionate about access to information for all. Mobile apps are empowering for all ages and abilities — and librarians who take her courses are becoming technology experts for their communities.
To stay current with the best technologies for education and productivity, sign up for her email newsletter, Mobile Apps News, on http://nicolehennig.com
The recording will only be available to registered attendees.
Register here if you wish to participate in the live session or view the recording.
Registrations are closed for this event.